Vomiting is a very common sign of salmonella poisoning. When the body is infected with salmonella bacteria, it causes intense disruption. The bacteria irritate the stomach, cause a person to feel nauseous, and ultimately vomiting.
When a person consumes contaminated food or liquid, the body will do its best to get rid of the bacteria. Unfortunately, that may mean constantly vomiting until such time as the bacteria has passed or the body has fought off the infection. Infants, elderly people, and those who suffer from certain disorders are at a higher risk of developing vomiting from salmonella poisoning.
Excessive vomiting can lead to dehydration, malaise, and lethargy. In serious cases, a medical professional may prescribe medication to retard the vomiting reflex, but in most cases, they will encourage patients to expel the bacteria. Depending on the severity of the vomiting, hospitalization to maintain hydration may be required to thrive.